Monday, November 15, 2010

I Am Determined to be Grateful :)

It's Monday!  That's what I'm determined to be grateful about.  I prefer Fridays and Saturdays so much more!  But I am super grateful that I woke up this morning.  :)  The struggle continues!  This morning 153.5 and glucose 123.  Not great.  Must have been that half a baked potato and the glass of egg nog!  Carol... you are responsible for the egg nog idea!  :)  On the other hand... last week one of Dave's buddies from the railroad came to stay with us along with two of his children.  Scotty was on phase two of his combo work/vacation.  Not only does he work for BNSF like Dave but he owns and operates a catering business.  He had been hired by BNSF to provide a feast at one of the North ID yards as they met a safety goal.  The feast - they call them "feeds" :) was a great success and having completed that task he planned to spend the next few days hunting with his kids.  We were astounded to be the happy recipients of more food than we can possibly eat in a month!  Just as I am packing to go to Woodinville for the week.  Let's see... I believe there are now 8 whole crabs in my freezer along with a bunch of boned, skinless and marinated chicken.  We pulled some out and I cooked it for lunch yesterday.  It was decidedly Asian.  Just a touch of pepper with onion, garlic and fresh ginger.  I'm not sure what else was in there - but so tasty.  There are about four more bags of that in the freezer.  Clam chowder!  Gallons!  Shrimp, razor clams... a big roll of elk pastrami.  What am I forgetting?  Oh and he had just been to Cash and Carry and purchased a huge prime rib.  He hacked us off 4 enormous steaks.  I say hacked because when I gave him my 30 year old Wustof chefs knife that has not been properly sharpened - ever, he decided he could do a better job with his hunting knife.  :)  Note to self.... next time a chef comes to visit have sharp knives!  Anyway!  We were blown away by his generosity!  Most of these awesome gifts are in the freezer - which is a bit of a problem since next month poor Panda gets to have her "sad day".  :(  That was a really long story working up to what I wanted to say about Scotty.  He is also a type two diabetic and is taking two medications along with insulin injections.  He's pretty proud of having a glucose level of 108 in the morning after all that.  He knows exactly what he needs to eat and also cheats like crazy and then takes an extra insulin shot to make up for it.  That my friends is exactly what I want to avoid!  I'd really like to keep my feet thanks!  I think I'll tape a picture of Scotty to my fridge.  I recall that my grandmother, Mama Quinn used to lock her trailer door and make a pan of cornbread and eat the whole pan while Aunt Rita banged on the outside of the door begging to be let in so she could remove the cornbread!  Come to think of it... I made cornbread to go with my chili last week.  I did not eat the whole pan but I did over the course of two days have probably 4 pieces.  Scotty said it was the best cornbread he's had in a long time.  :)  Is there any hope at all?   

Well, like I said, I'm packing up to spend a good portion of the week in Woodinville.  I need to behave diet wise since I have not done that so much lately.  I sure wish I had not baked those potatoes yesterday since I have rib steaks to grill tonight!!!  There really is noting like a crispy olive oil salt and pepper skinned baked potato to go alongside a mammoth rib steak!  What to do?  Now that's a problem I'm very grateful to have :)

Ciao!

1 comment: