Sunday, February 13, 2011

Happy Anniversary To Us (I almost killed my husband)

Dave and I were married 18 years ago today.  I have no idea what happened to all the years in between.  They are a blur for sure!  They were filled up with the triumphs and mini tragedies of raising 6 kids, travels, working, friends, dreaming, crying, laughing and... eating :)  I am very fortunate to have a husband who loves to eat as much as I do and who is very brave.  He will try anything at least once.  On rare occasions he will request that I not make something again but he is always ready to try a new dish.  That's a good thing since almost every day whatever comes out of my kitchen is new.  When the kids were little and I was busy working and doing endless cycles of laundry I didn't have time to be creative.  It was spaghetti, tacos, shepherds pie, stir fry or... spaghetti.  Now once the end of the day rolls around and I brave the long commute home (the staircase from my upstairs office) I roll on into the kitchen and see what's in the fridge and go from there.  There are no kids around to say, "eeeewwwww, I'm not eating that!"  Dave certainly wouldn't say it, even if he thought it - which is pretty unlikely anyway.  His mom trained him well!       Recently I decided something "curry" would be nice.  I use curry powder quite often but I thought really curry sounded good.  I made some nice red curry sauce out of ... let's see... red curry paste, coconut water (comes in a can, not the creamy milky stuff) some freshly squeezed lime juice, and just before serving I added some fat free half and half.  (I know!  How can half and half be fat free!)  I made a nice big salad to accompany it and served the lovely grill pan seared chicken breasts atop a bed of a wild rice and red wheat berry blend.  I had sampled the curry sauce and found it to be delightful - although a little more spicy than I expected.  I was pleased with the way the dinner turned out over all.  Here's what it looked like...

As I was taking the picture I informed Dave that the sauce was a little spicier than usual and that I had not added any extra hot sauce to it - just used more curry paste than normal.    He had already done the initial fly by with his nose and gone in for the first bite of chicken.  I was a little surprised that I did not hear him make any oh yum noises so I looked over to find that he was bright red and couldn't really breathe.  :)   Let's just say he doesn't like his food quite as hot as I do.  I have never seen a man work so hard to eat a chicken breast.  :)  He finally gave up half way through.  I tore through mine and put the rest of his in the fridge for lunch the next day.  I told him I wouldn't make the sauce that hot again.  I did save a small jar of it though for my own personal use for say drizzling over steamed veggies.

Yesterday we decided a nice sirloin steak sounded good.  We are getting ready to take a road trip down to CA to visit my daughter KT and her little family so we are working on cleaning out the fridge.  We had already consumed the last of the fresh veggies and planned on using up the left over rice with the steak so I thought I'd just open a can of green beans.  A pretty simple meal.  Here's what it looked like.  


It was quite yummy!  Of course it can't be just plain old rice and beans so... yep you guessed it!  Out came the curry sauce.  It was just a drizzle... really!   :)  My dear husband is taking me to dinner tonight for our anniversary.  Not so much because he loves me though... mostly out of fear that the dreaded curry sauce might show up again and end his life - or at least his taste buds.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment