Thursday, March 10, 2011

Electric Blue Morning

Ahhh...5:58 in the morning, coffee in hand.  I am snuggled into my cozy couch soaking in one of my favorite psalms.  The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want.   The sound of the raindrops on the roof makes me happy for the many windows dotting the vaulted ceiling in my home.  I shall not go out today, but I can bring the outside in.  Peering out the window I see a scene I've seen a thousand times before and never before.  The big red barn.  This morning its bright new barn light captures and intensifies the deep grey blue of the early drippy morning.  It's like lightning against a night sky.  Everything it touches is blue.  The large white roll up door is washed with that blue.  The puddles shimmer and dance with blue as they collect the droplets from the sky.  Behind me the loud tick tock of the grandfather clock marks the seconds of this extrodinary living painting.  The light of day comes, stealing the magic away.  The light clicks off and I am left with the ordinary grey of a rainy day.  I am glad to have taken the opportunity to recognize and savor a special moment in an otherwise dreary day.

I am also glad that I lost another half a pound :)  Every ounce counts and I'm on a roll!  157.5.  Glucose 112.  Damn that whole wheat pasta!  Yesterday I was jonesing for some nice lean burgers so I slogged through the slush to the freezer and retrieved a few selections of beefy Panda goodness.  Unfortunately the ground beef did not thaw in time so I had to make something up.   Remembering the thinly sliced Canadian bacon I had recently purchased at Cash & Carry, I thought I might be able to do something with that.  A can of chickpeas came into sight and I knew I had a start.  Because I was so hungry at that moment the pasta flew off the shelf and once again I was confused but decided to go with it.  I got out the remaining spinach and some lovely sun dried tomatoes and of course some shredded Parmesan cheese.  This is how it all worked out...


I was pleasantly surprised by how well the salty ham and slight crunchiness of the chickpeas pared with the  chewy bite of the sundried tomatoes, backed up by the sauted onion, garlic and spinach.  Tumble in the whole wheat pasta and parm cheese and there you have it.  Tasty textures in one bowl.

Ok... gotta go do something creative.  Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment