Thursday, January 6, 2011

Good News Bad News or Bad News Good News?

As I mentioned before... Dave is home for the winter.  It will take me a little while to get used to this.  I waiver from feeling very blessed to having him around to insanely jealous because he get's all winter off.  Yes, I realize the jealousy is petty and mean.  But... have you met me?  :)  I'm working on it!  Here's one example of the stuff that's been driving my crazy the last couple of days.  He RUINED my Starbucks travel mug by putting it in the dishwasher!  Every time I took a sip from the mug it dribbled coffee on me.  He said, well, it isn't a big dribble".  I replied that it wouldn't mess up a white shirt at all!  I almost felt bad because I jumped down his throat like he had committed the worst kind of sin.  Later in the day I pulled a funny o ring looking thing out of the dishwasher and wondered out loud of course what it was.  He got a sparkle in his eye and asked if I thought it might be the seal to my destroyed coffee mug.  (insert big eye roll and teeth grinding here)  As it turns out... my coffee mug is fixed.  He promised to NEVER put it in the dishwasher again.  This morning just when I was about as irritated as I can be he called me to breakfast and here's what he had made.  The good news is that he was so very sweet and made breakfast for me.  That bad news is that it contained fabulous fried potatoes with onions.
This could be a problem.  I was able to restrain myself to half a cup.  Oh how I wanted to eat the whole pan. The omelette was tender and tasty.  I can't make omelettes by the way.  I can never quite master them so he has to make them.  I can make a mean fritatta but sometimes you just want a real omelette.  Anyway... It had goat cheese and bacon crumbles.  I topped mine with a little plain Greek yogurt rather than sour cream.  Even though I showed amazing control moderating the potatoes... well let's just say it would be better for me to have no potatoes.  But I didn't want to hurt his feelings.  :)  Riiiight!   

I decided I better go light for lunch.  I rummaged around in the fridge freshly stocked with raw crunchy goodness and came up with this.  Let's see.  We'll call it...

Kicked Up Caprese Salad

It started out Caprese because I remembered the fresh mozzarella "pearls" in the fridge.  Then I added the tomatoes and cukes and got derailed because I have NO basil.  :(  Hmmpf!  I got angry all over again at Walmart because they had NO fresh basil last time I went.  Some crazy person took over and added red cabbage, bacon crumbles and these nice little garlic flavored pistachios I found at good ole Walmart the other day.  A little ground pepper and sprinkling of olive oil and balsamic vinegar (my favorite) and ta da!

 Now... back to my favorite subject... Dave.  :)  The real problem is that it feels like he is invading my territory.  I love love love him AND I do like my alone time.  If he's always here...   see where I'm going with this?  :)  I'm sure I'll settle down.  This is not the first time he has taken the winter off.  I'm always amazed that there is usually a knee or an elbow that needs repair and it tends to happen... from January through March.  :)  I need to quit making fun of him.  They are all valid and the rest of the year he works like a DOG!  Still... I wonder what I could come up with to get that much time off.  Hmm... my fingers would have to be smashed to smithereens (ha!  my spell checker just corrected my spelling on smithereens.  I didn't know it was actually a word) and my butt would have to... well... how can you not sit on your butt?  Alright.  I'm thankful that I'm healthy enough to make the completely exhausting climb to my second story office each day where I can gaze out the window and survey my Queendom.  Then I get take my frustrations out on those poor souls who have either been unfortunate enough or stupid enough to not pay their bill at Valley Supply Co.  :)  In the end I guess it's Good News Good News.  It will be very interesting... on Friday night we get to go hang out at Donna and Ed's house where we have a fun bible study about marriage.  Almost always I feel like I have the perfect marriage.  If not perfect then pretty darn awesome.  I am only rarely irritated by Dave.  :)  I'm sure he's frequently irritated by me!  We'll see if he "tells" on me.  ;) I just have to say though... the first morning he wakes up early and wants to get in the tub with me... I'm going to have to drown him.   Just Kidding... sort of... :)

Ciao!

Oh!  Fatometer.  Again... 154.8 Grrr!  Glucose coming down a skosh:  115.  Still high and DWL:  6.  Yay!

1 comment:

  1. OMG! I would shoot someone in the foot for an omelette OR fritata right now! YUM!!!
    ~Amberlyn

    That's one thing about your blogs! They always make me laugh and hungry!

    ReplyDelete