Friday, January 7, 2011

It's a Melty Kind of Day

Close your eyes and imagine it's a balmy 34 degrees outside.  The sky and ground are becoming one, enveloped by a white fog slowly swirling.  The trees are barely visible.  Obscured by layers of mist, clearing now and then to reveal snow falling from the branches in tiny puff explosions, that never reach the ground.  Drip, drip, drip.  I'm almost hypnotized by the icicles that are ever melting and yet never seem to get smaller.  Turkeys are scratching through the slush and deer paw the ground and are happy to find winter grass to munch on.  :)  No... I'm not on some psychedelic drug... it's way too white for that.  It's just my world today.  And I'm melting away just a little bit too.  This morning the fatometer read 153.8.  Progress at least, glucose 100, sweeeet!  DWL hmmm what it the date today... 7.

Last night I made something quite tasty that is pretty rare for a beef cattle girl like me.  I made a vegetarian dinner.  It was awesome.  I began with a recipe that I found on the allrecipes.com web site.  I love that website but I'm frequently amazed to find some of the most lard butt recipes imaginable!  A serving of soup with 900 something calories???  Still... You can trim pretty much anything and still have it be scrumptious.  Someone needs to put a leash around my neck and yank me back periodically!  What I was going to talk about was the Spicy Thai Tofu dish that I made.  I should have taken a picture of it but we gobbled it up before I remembered the camera.  Anyway... as usual I was missing a couple of ingredients so that always gives me permission to just figure something else out.  I stir fried firm tofu cubes in a little olive oil and sprinkled some Thai coating sauce mix that I found at Cash and Carry a while back.  I added a little Tamari (rich soy sauce) in and removed it from the pan when it was nice and brown.  Then I stir fried an onion, some broccoli and... something else :) Oh!  a glob of peanut butter and stirred it until it melted away.  At the end of the stir fry time I threw in some shredded Napa cabbage, a little more Tamari, a drizzle of champagne vinegar and a little water to sauce it up just a bit.  I  added the tofu back in and sprinkled the whole thing with sesame seeds.  There you have it.   Highly experimental and not half bad.

Well, all that was from this morning.  I never got a chance to finish and post.  Gotta make the big bucks you know :)  Now it's the weekend.  My favorite days of the week!  While I was finishing up in my office just now Dave was getting creative in the kitchen and whipped up a cheesy tuna melt (yep Amberlyn you guessed it... Velveeta!) grilled on sour dough bread and served with half of a left over sweet potatoe.  What's not good grilled?  I ate every bite! 

Have a great weekend everyone!

Ciao!

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha!!! VELVEETA!!!!! Ha ha! Ty would love it!!

    ReplyDelete