Friday, October 22, 2010

A Tribute To Dad - Happy Birthday!

Well first just to get this out of the way - 150.0 and glucose 113.  So... from the slightly elevated glucose reading you decide whether or not I had an almost respectable amount of dinner followed by a not so modest bowl of vanilla ice cream (not the light kind) topped with chopped up trick or treat candy bars.  I almost feel like Rodney Dangerfield - I got NO self respect!  Unfortunately I also have very little remorse :)  so you can see why this is such a challenge.  I am frequently way to willing to sabotage my diet!

Back to Dad.  Or as the grandkids all call him Pa.  This is for you - on your birthday.

I have a father to be proud of.  He is always there for me even though he lives on the other side of the country.  I always know if I'm puzzling or troubled over something that I can call and get a thorough consultation on any subject under the sun.  Well, maybe consultation is not exactly the word... anyway :)  he always gives me lots to think about.  I am so proud of my Taylor heritage.  I come from a long line of very colorful people.  Many of them were successful business men. Many were inventors.  Many of them were "preachers".  I had the privledge this spring of going to visit the church at Bury St. Edmonds, England which is the spot where one of my ancestors Roland Taylor preached with such conviction that it caused him to be imprisoned for two years and then burned at the stake by a church Cardinal - back in the mid 1500's.  I fortunately made this trip after having read Pillars of the Earth so I had a much greater appreciation of the long ago event.   Somehow I can imagine my dad in that role.  He is always willing to speak out for what he believes regardless of what anyone else thinks.  Whether or not your agree with him you have to appreciate that we absolutely need those kinds of people in the world!  They make you think.  Sometimes they make you angry :)  but they always make you think!   Taylors have one thing in common.  At least the ones that I have known personally and that is that they all love to laugh.  Now, sometimes they are laughing at you, but never without darn good reason.  My dad is one of those colorful characters (oh so colorful) who have been blessed in business through very hard work and decication.  He has a whole bunch of "real life" experience having learned many lessons, making some very good choices and some very bad ones too.  He has a very deep faith in God who has walked with him through the mountains and valleys of his life.  Many times leading and guiding him behind the scenes as my dad had a good many "wilderness" years.  He has been blessed with  the most devoted and adoring wife on the face of the planet whose self assigned job is to support and pray for him.  She has grown large knoby calluses on her knees due to many hours of prayer.  :)  I think of my dad as one of those "larger than life" people.  No matter what he does - he does it in a big way!  With all his might.  He has just a touch of the "grandest tiger in the jungle" syndrome which I appreciate because even though I have days when I feel like a complete failure I always bounce back because after all, I am a Taylor.  Of course God has his ways of helping us remember to be humble... :)  I am thankful that I have a family to be proud of and a name to live up to.  Many times in my life when I have been faced with choices I think.  Hmmm... is this something I want to have to explain to my dad???  :)  Sometimes it has caused me to make good choices.  Isn't it great to have a dad like that?  My dad really was instrumental in getting me on track with my diet.  He made me test my glucose level a couple of times when I really didn't want to - because I had a hunch that it was not going to be good news.  I think he almost had to hold me down to do it.  And he did not care that I was highly irritated at him for doing it.  He knew that it was an issue that I needed to deal with.  He's very helpful like that.  :)  Well, I could go on and on!  I love you Pa!  I hope you have many more birthdays.  Jeff and Andrea can't wait for you to be the care taker at their beach house - someday.  :)  Oh, by the way... this is instead  of a birthday present.  I know... worst present yet!  Even worse than fifty two boxes of individually wrapped up Jello.  :)  I still love that present!  If you ever become "forgetful" like Grandma... that's what you are getting every year.  You'll love it!

And that folks is my dad.  Gotta love him!  Well... I guess you don't "gotta", but I sure do.  :)

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment