Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Out With The Old, In With The Moo - Continued

Fortunately I've been able to resist the Harry and David tower of treats under my tree and my stats reflect this.  This morning 152.6 and glucose 98.  Yay!  It would be awesome if this were the last time I lose those pounds :)

I've been rummaging around in my freezer in order to make room for Panda as we discussed last post.  I found some cube steaks I had purchased over Thanksgiving to make Salisbury steak for Michele - but we never got around to eating that.  Too much other stuff to eat!  I marinated it over night with grilling rub and Worcestershire sauce and seared it in my grill pan then sliced it up and made a steak salad out of it.
That's not a good pic... I really have to check the settings on my camera.  But you get the idea.  Romain hearts, shredded carrots, sun-dried tomatoes, crumbled goat cheese and marinated cube steak -topped with pine nuts.  It's been awhile since I was inspired to make a salad.  Of course I have made some - I just have not been very excited about them.  Too darn cold over here in snow country!  I enjoyed this one.  The salad was simple and tasty.  The steak was nice and warm and had a nice kick from the seasonings.  I just drizzled it with a little balsamic vinegar and olive oil.  It made a nice light dinner.  Dave enjoyed it too.  With the other half of the steak or rather.... barely hanging together ground beef :) I purged my fridge and made soup.  That will be for dinner tonight.  It's sort of a minestrone type soup.  It also used up some beef stock from the freezer.  Oh... I just remembered... I'll go down and drag some shredded zucchini out of the freezer and add it.  And maybe I'll throw in a little bit of frozen left over stuffing too.  :)  (DONE) I love to save left over stuffing.  It adds lots of flavor and texture to just about any soup.  This particular batch of soup is getting pretty busy though.

Ok... dinner is over and I have to admit I was a little unsure what the soup would turn out like.  It was actually good.  Whew!  Well.... Even if it wasn't it was just stuff I would eventually have had to throw away.  Nice save though!  I made some sourdough cheesy bread to go with it.  I only had half of the piece that is shown here...
Enough about soup!

I also excavated some nice shrimp and clams that Dave's friend Scotty brought us when he came to visit in November.  They will be great in my Christmas Eve Seafood Chowder.  I still need some cod or flounder though.  Too bad there's none of that in there.  There are some tuna steaks but - I just can't get my head around tuna in seafood chowder.  Nope!  Not gonna happen!  There were also round sourdough loaves in the freezer.  I think I'll hollow them out and serve the chowder in them.  Well... for Dave and Amberlyn anyway.  I can't be trusted with a sourdough bread bowl :)  There were also some nice chicken breasts from Costco and I pulled out some tomato puree that I had frozen from the very last of my tomatoes.  They will make some fabulous tomato soup.  I'll serve them with sourdough grilled cheese sandwich strips.  I think I'll plan to indulge in those.  Ummm!  There are still two fat rib steaks courtesy of Scotty.  I have not taken them out yet.  I was planning on grilling those tomorrow tonight but Amberlyn who WAS coming over tomorrow is delaying her trip to spend time with her very handsome boyfriend.  While I would rather hang out with him than me too... well... I guess no rib steaks.  Too bad because those freezers are not nearly empty.  I'm trying to get the really good stuff out before Dave starts tossing everything out to the cows, dogs and chickens.  Hey - the turkeys are back... I bet they will help eat some spare bread from the freezer that I might have to toss.  I'm not sure I want to encourage them though.  They almost hang out on the porch as it is these days.  And those darn dogs just cozy up to them.  They truly are good for absolutely nothing.  But so sweet!  They are my pals.

Ok... I apologize!  I'm done now :)

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment