Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Turkey Anyone???

Have you ever noticed that Thanksgiving lasts longer than any other holiday?  Christmas is like a flash fire.  Yay! Presents!  Poof, wrappings up in smoke - done!  Thanksgiving just keeps lingering and lingering... I suppose this depends on how many leftovers there are.  This year with only six of us there are MANY leftovers.  Carol!  You need to come back over here.  You didn't eat enough!  Tonight it's turkey and wild rice soup.  I get to use up a couple of quarts of the turkey stock I made from the bones.  :)  After using those for the soup I will have 5 quarts left.   Well here - let me show you :)
This image could be right out of a book called Have Yourself A Merry Little Redneck Christmas.  :)  Don't you just love my freezer?  I was too lazy to go put them in the big freezer in the barn and my kitchen freezer is too full.  Dave discovered that fact this morning when I went to retrieve some turkey slices that I had frozen.  I opened it and he said, "Oh my God!  You filled the freezer up!"  The problem is that Panda is going to have her "sad day" next week and she will be going to live in the freezer.  So... I guess it will be a feeding frenzy between now and then - or I can just hope the air outside stays frozen because Dave will be tossing stuff OUT of the freezer.  What a tangent!  Ok...  back to my soup - in a round about way... I made the brown/wild rice yesterday to use up more of the big spiral ham I cooked when Michele and James were here.  I made fried rice with that last night.  So yum!!!  When I made my broccoli and cauliflower gratin for Thanksgiving I made way too much to put in the pan so I just stored some away uncooked and used that to go in the fried rice.  Last night it was the veggies (with bits of cheese and chopped up stuffing) and eggs and chopped ham and the rice.  A little garlic black bean paste and some teriyaki sauce made it extra special and kicked up that sodium and sugar content just right - flavor wise.  Wish I had some left for lunch!  But no!  Which means I ate too much!  Anyway... that used up the last of the stuffing and veg and tonight I will use up the wild rice for the soup.  See... told you I was getting around to getting back to the soup.  Note to self... you are crazy!

Another easy morning after dish was the ham/stuffing/veg/cheese quiche I made.  So easy to wisk the eggs and chop and throw everything else in.   Anyway - the point is... every time I make one ingredient needed to use up a Thanksgiving leftover it turns into another dish - another left over!  I won't have to go to the store for a month.  Which works out great since Dave has the truck for driving to work.  He barely made it up our hill last night in the little Honda due to the snow we got yesterday.  We must have about 14 or so inches piled up out there.  Beautiful!  If you don't have to drive in it.

Well!  I am completely exhausted!  I feel like my brain has just been on a scavenger hunt.  It ran all over the neighborhood and came back with a bunch of junk which makes up this blog post.  Bummer for y'all!  I'm out!

Oh... 115 glucose :(  154.2 fatometer.  :(

Ok... now I'm out!

Ciao!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment