Thursday, September 23, 2010

Careful What You Ask For!

I've been anxiously waiting for my tomatoes to ripen for weeks and now they are coming.  I've been covering my tomato row with a huge tarp every night because it's getting down in the mid 30's already and I'll be seriously angry if they get frozen now!  I've been pulling the green ones that are low to the ground and bringing them in and they are ripening slowly on the counter.  Now I have tomatoes in every stage of ripeness imaginable.  My favorite for snacking are the cherries.  I've been sending Dave to work every day with a container full and I've been eating my share right off the counter.  I need to go out and pick more this afternoon but here is a pic of a few laying around the kitchen waiting to ripen and become marinara sauce.  Oh so much work but...yummy!  There are also Walla Walla sweet onions and Anaheim peppers in there.

Remember... this is what these same plants looked like in May...



So sad!!!  I almost ripped them up but instead I cut them down to the ground and they grew!











So I guess it's been a successful year after all.  There are still hundreds on the vines.  I think I have enough jars though.

My sunflowers are finally smiling at me too.  Here's one:
















And here are the rest of them dancing in the wind and smiling at the sun like good little sunflowers do:
  

And here is my prize pumpkin.  Hope it gets a little larger but it's doing very nicely:

It's hard to tell how big it is... but it's very large.  I'm so excited!



















This morning the fatometer read 148.5 and glucose was 100.  Yay!  A new low... again!  (Every ounce counts!)  I had half an ear of corn at dinner last night.  I ate it very slowly and convinced myself that it was enough.  I didn't really believe myself though.  Really I wanted three or four ears :)  But... what's a chubby diabetic prone girl to do?  Such a struggle!  With all that corn in the garden... to gorge or not to gorge?  That is the question!  

Well... ciao yall!

7 comments:

  1. 148.5 ain't fat!
    Whatsamatter with you, girl?!

    I figure I will be down to 148 about 6 months after I die.

    Save me a few seeds out of that punkin, if you don't need them all.


    Cousin Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI...Here's a great post on how to can your own salsa - in case you need more to do with those tomatoes!

    http://www.petitelefant.com/how-to-can-your-own-salsa

    If you make some you should use Uncle Jeff's hot sauce to make it EXTRA spicy! Then it will be a REAL Taylor original! Don't forget to send me a jar!

    Love and hugs from Texas,

    YFN (Your Favorite Niece)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol! a chubby diabetic prone girl! lol! i should make a profile so you know who i am when i comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I'm gonna dig you up cuz and check to see how much you weigh! Just to help the pounds melt off we'll marinate you in your own Gun-Blast sauce Lacretia was talking about. The worms and bugs will LOVE that :) You really ought to sell that stuff. Mom and Dad did NOT bring me a bottle last time they came :( Thanks for stopping by my dumb blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the link Lacretia! I'll check it out. I will add some Uncle Jeff's. My friend Dee is making salsa that is so hot makes you think you've died and gone to hell. I need to create an offering too. If it turns out good I'll send you some. If it's horrible I'll blame you. Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How'd the salsa turn out? Maybe you can substitute baked pita chips for tortilla chips? That might bring down the calorie factor! Here's another link for you if you want to make your own. Just throw some sea salt on those babies and you've got a great low fat dippable snack! http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/appetizersandsnacks/r/pitachips1104.htm

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haven't made salsa to can yet. This weekend I will drag out my canning equipment as there will be enough ripe tomatoes to do something with. I did make some fresh salsa though and it was yummy! Because I had a bunch of carrots and zucchini in the fridge I added a little of those too so it really was pretty... lots of colors. Baked pitas sound good :) great idea! I'll check out what their glycemic load is... who am I kidding... I gorged on chocolate cake the other night... I can have a few dang pita chips :)

    ReplyDelete