Sunday, May 23, 2010

Granola

I made some granola today.  I thought I would pack some up and take it with me when I go to Woodinville (which is 350 miles away on the other side of the state from where I live in Chewelah WA - I know, I'm acting as if someone else is actually reading this.  Ha!) to visit my on-site office at Valley Supply Co.  Since I make my own granola I am able to control the amount of sugar that goes into it.  It's very simple... just old fashioned oats, some honey - just about a quarter of a cup, a little butter for flavor and then a heart healthy oil to moisten.  I add dried fruit - whatever I have in the pantry like blueberries, cherries, mango... and some chopped nuts, cinnamon, vanilla.   Since I'm adding just a small amount of honey I sprinkle it with Splenda just before it's done.  It bakes in the oven at 350 for about 25 minutes... or until golden brown.

Sometimes when I need a quick breakfast yogurt and granola is just the trick. I always start with plain low-fat yogurt.  My favorite is Mountain High.  It's super thick and I can buy it in the large container.  Way cheaper.  I add in some sugar free coconut syrup, or what ever flavor I feel like and sprinkle in some of my granola.  Tasty, good dose of calcium and pretty low sugar.  While I am in Woodinville I will buy a good commercial fruit yogurt and stash it in the fridge at work and bring along some granola.  If I know I have a tasty little breakfast to look forward to it's much easier to NOT stop in for a fast food breakfast.  It pays to think ahead!

1 comment:

  1. I think some people are reading this. If not maybe it will keep you accountable :)

    ReplyDelete