Saturday, May 22, 2010

Weekend Prep

I like to use the weekend as a prep day.  Today I roasted veg, toasted up some croutons, cooked up some bacon in the oven (my favorite way) and toasted some pine nuts.  I use the veg to make lots of things but primarily for my morning frittatas.  If you have the veg already done all you have to do is beat an egg, spoon the veg in and cook in a small pan on the stove top.  The bottom browns beautifully if I cook it on low and then fold it over.  Maybe broil a tiny bit of cheese over the top in the toaster oven at the end.  Healthy breakfast and pretty fast.  Dave brought home some sour dough/garlic bread so I figured I better use some of it up so I just made croutons with a tiny bit of the bacon drippings (but mostly olive oil) and a bit of Parmesan cheese.

Since I had all that stuff out I thought I'd make a panzanella of sorts for lunch.  It was tasty :)  I used mixed greens, cooled roasted veg, croutons, cukes, tomatoes, bacon, shredded fresh mozzarella and goat cheese then topped with pine nuts and balsamic vinegar - and a touch of ranch dressing.  

Tonight I think I'll make a side dish using brown rice and some of the roasted veg, maybe toss in some toasted almonds to go with a small rib steak and salad.  Sounds like a plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment