Sunday, May 23, 2010

Leftovers

So... what do you do with that last piece of halibut from dinner last night.  Well... if you are Dave you eat it because of the starving children in India.  That's what our mothers taught us right?  Don't waste anything.  Not bad advice if you can process an unlimited quantity of food.  For me over eating is a habit I developed very early.  If I had left the fish out Dave would surely have devoured it but I put it aside right out of the oven and decided to save it.  Didn't know what for - but while I was shoveling concrete today I thought it might be tasty if I made it into a salad... sort of like tuna salad... only halibut.

To make it a little lighter I used a little low fat plain yogurt along with a little low fat mayo and added chopped tomato, pickle, a few dashes of Tabasco Chipotle, a little champagne vinegar, a dash of tamari, a dash of curry powder, some pine nuts and chopped pistachios.  Oh and just a couple tablespoons of crumbled bacon.  I know!  But it just makes everything taste so good :)  I decided instead of making a regular sandwich I would plate it on a bed of spring greens and make some toast to go with it.  I used garlic sourdough bread toasted it in a grill pan brushed with a little olive oil and then and sliced up a square of pepper-jack cheese and ran it under the broiler.  I used just one slice for 4 pieces of toast.  It's got a nice strong flavor so a little goes a long way.  Of course I only ate one of those toasts.  Dave was happy to polish off my second piece.   Hmm, check out the pic... looks a little like a bird.  :)

Here's something I learned from my South Beach Diet book that I have read over and over and over again.  That book is great for learning to control type 2 diabetes since it is all about maintaining a healthy blood chemistry which leads to cardiovascular health.  Anyway... If you are going to eat bread sourdough is one of the better choices.  Because it is more acidic it doesn't breakdown and convert to sugar as quickly as other bread.  And if you have a little cheese with it even better.  Fat slows the process down too.   All things in moderation.  The key word is moderation... which is not one of my particular strengths :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this is encouraging for me to work towards a better diet. Thanks! Sue

    ReplyDelete