Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Ask And You Shall Receive :)

Grandpa and Grandma Weishaar came over today and brought me the water bath canner I needed and a zillion jars.  Yay!  They were going to bring it yesterday but I was SO ILL that I called and told them not to come over.  I'm feeling better today and now I'm so excited cause I can make the "dilly beans" pickled green beans that I found a recipe for.  I'll have to go out and snoop through the bush beans again.  I hope I have enough.  I also have to sterilize the jars and canner... they have been stored in the root cellar for quite awhile.  Bob and Earlene (my kids grandparents) live in Athol, ID (just miles from Silverwood)  out in the woods in a very quaint cabin.  When I first started going there in the early 80's it was very rural.  Silverwood had not even been dreamed up as far as I know and there was nothing but primitive homes and woods for miles around.  Since that time the surrounding land has been developed and there are now housing developments just on the other side of the trees but their place looks very much the same.  There is always some new invention and they even have a computer now but the spirit of the place has not changed much.  They live very close to Lake Pend Oreille and we used to go fishing and catch scad of the little Kokanee trout.  Earlene had so much fish on her hands that she used to can it and send jars and jars home with us.  She doesn't do much canning anymore and so I am thrilled to have her old equipment.  Hopefully I can put it to good use :)



The stats... 153.0 and glucose 94.  I'm actually surprised.  I thought my blood sugar would be higher.  Yesterday all I wanted to eat was like noodles and crackers and stuff when I was sick.  Most of the day I didn't eat much but by evening I was feeling better.  I ate two pieces of dark break wrapped around two hot dogs and finished off the evening with a whole bag of pop corn.  What a pig!  Oh well!

Still looking for things to do with all the zucchini in the garden so this morning I cut a slice off of one of the larger zucchini and fried it in the pan along side a piece of Canadian bacon and an egg and topped it with Parmesan cheese.  Tasty.  I may have to make zucchini pickles or something too.  We'll see how long it lasts.



I have two monster squash plants in the garden taking over everything.  Just this morning I figured out which was the acorn squash and which was the spaghetti squash.  I found a spaghetti squash this is enormous.  And it's still white so not really ripe yet.  I want to eat it!

Ok... gotta get some real work done :)  Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment