Monday, August 30, 2010

Meatloaf Monday :)

It's somewhat comforting to start the day knowing what the end result will be.  Today that means meatloaf for dinner.  Yesterday I made an enormous pot of chili and used up about 5 lbs of ground beef.  Amberlyn (daughter) and her boyfriend Ty came to visit so fortunately we had some help eating that.  Still I had to freeze enough to provide us with a quick dinner or lunch for probably most of the fall.    I've been working on clearing out room in the freezer to make room for the fall supply of beef.  It's just really sad that my fall beef has a name - Panda!  :(  I may have to convert and become a vegetarian.  It's really difficult to be on a first name basis with my beef!  (Insert big sigh here)  Anyway... we were discussing the contents of the freezer which is at this point mostly ground beef and Dave said "You really should make meatloaf more often.  I don't get enough meatloaf."  That's easy!  I can do meatloaf for sure.  I have plenty of eggs, onions, garlic, herbs and all the things that make meatloaf tasty.  If I made a two pound meatloaf once a week (Meatloaf Monday) it would take me probably 6 months to use up the rest of the ground beef in the freezer.  I think there is a whole lot more chili, tacos, spaghetti sauce and... anything else I can think of to use ground beef in my immediate future.  Maybe I'll start a new plan... all visitors take home ground beef.  So where was I going with all that?  I don't know.  Why start worrying about having a point now?  :)  Bummer for you!  Ha ha!  So... Oh yeah I recall... I was aiming at explaining my elevated glucose reading this morning which was 115.  I blame it on the very tasty Texas toast that accompanied the chili yesterday.  Thick grilled bread slathered with garlic butter and sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.  :)  Yummy!  I only had half a piece but I've discovered that white bread makes my blood sugar shoot up more than anything else!  I also had a peach.  I need to go back and check to see where they fall on the glycemic index.  I guess I should have done that before I bought a whole box of them at the fruit stand in Ellensburg on Friday.  Anyway... back to the chili... I made it all from scratch and loaded it with good things from the garden.  It contained several zucchinis, onions and the first of my bell peppers.  I also picked and canned some more beans yesterday and dehydrated more zucchini.  I will have to decide today what to do with the rest of that box of peaches. 

I was a little bummed by the 115 glucose reading but pleased by 150.1 weight.  Well... really I'll be pleased when I reach 140.  Still it's ever so much better than 170 which was my beginning weight in May.  I have to work on the blood glucose this week though!  It was elevated slightly all last week.  No more Texas toast for awhile.  I should have known I couldn't get away with that! 

It seems like this post has been mostly a tribute to beef so I'll end with this little bit.  When my granddaughter Aubrey comes over she loves to feed the animals.  She knows just where all the feed is for the chickens and cows.  She knows them all by name.  She accompanies me often when I drive back and forth to Woodinville to go visit her daddy and Nana and other family members.  Along the way we sing and say hi to the horses and cows and birds we see out the window.  She likes to name off the chicks and cows and so we say, "Hi Ginger, hi Panda, hi Mumbo, hi T-bone!"  On down the list we go.  A couple of weeks ago I sent this little text/pic to Nicole for Aubrey...

HI AUBREY!!!
from Ginger
(who Dave has promised will never end up in the freezer - because she's his personal pet)

Have a great Monday!  
Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment