Sunday, August 22, 2010

A Weekend In the Garden!



In the morning I'm heading to Woodinville and will have to stay until Friday.  I knew my garden would be completely out of control if I didn't give it some serious attention so that's what I did most of the weekend.  I had to pull out the peas that were shot.  I pulled out a spent broccoli plant, cut back a lot of zucchini leaves that were shading other plants.  I picked green beans again and pulled out a few bean plants.  They were just too crowded!    I pruned the tomato plants too.  I've been impatiently waiting for some tomatoes to ripen and finally had my very first ripe tomato today.  Yay!  They were hidden down low.  I found them while I was cutting back the zucchini.  I also cut back the spaghetti and acorn squash.  It was like a jungle in there :)  The cows ate everything I pulled out of there.  They were happy cows today!  Here are a few pics I took today in the garden:


First up... Anaheim chilies that still need to ripen - but aren't they pretty?

 
  
A lone Walla Walla sweet and below are the very first of my tomatoes to ripen.




I just love my pumpkins.  They are the color of butter right now.  I'm amazed how fast they are growing!  That pumpkin blossom (with the bee inside) is about three inches in diameter.  It looks tiny next to the pumpkin.  Just a few days ago the pumpkin was the size of a soccer ball.  I showed Dave today.  He's amazed too.  All I can say is our cows have some pretty amazing poop :) 

This is the pick of the day.  Basil, broccoli and of course zucchini.  I also picked green beans.  I wrapped them well and will store them in the fridge until I get back.  Dave promised to pick beans twice while I'm gone and I'll can them all when I come home.





And finally... here's the first sunflower to bloom.  This one just surprised me this year.  It's growing right in the middle of the garden and looks pretty silly.  We had a big wind a couple of weeks ago and it was partially uprooted.   I didn't think it would make it but here it is!  I just love sunflowers.  Can you think of a happier looking flower?


Well... all good things (the weekend) must come to an end.  I'm not sure who made up that rule - but when I find them they are fired for sure!  Anyway... I't getting late so I must go to bed.  I'm a little nervous that Dave will neglect my crops while I'm gone.  He's been very preoccupied with his latest building project - the new carport.  I usually don't mind the trips to Woodinville but I really hate to go when the garden is in full swing :)  I'm imagining coming home and finding zucchini the size of baseball bats.  

Oh!  I guess I better report the stats... 150.7 and glucose 99.  I have to say I'm surprised.  I was expecting bad numbers because Saturday we went out for breakfast and even though we split breakfast... biscuits and gravy with hash browns is not exactly diet food!  Then Saturday night we went to a party at the home of one of Dave's rail road work buddies.  The food was great :)  And oh!  The desserts :)  I was bad.  Very very bad!  

So good bye weekend, good bye garden, good bye animals, good bye Dave!  I miss home already and I'm not even gone yet :)

Ciao!








No comments:

Post a Comment