Saturday, August 7, 2010

Saturday Morning, Ahh... Life is Good!

I love watching the sun come up on a Saturday morning!  The possibilities seem endless when I have the whole weekend stretched before me.  I enjoy imagining all the things I could do... but won't since I will spend most of the weekend in my garden trying to think up stuff to do with all the produce that is ripe for the picking right now!  Terrible problem to have!  I didn't even go to the farmers market yesterday.  What would I buy?  I have more than we can possibly eat right here.

We need rain!  The air quality is so bad right now I can hardly see the mountains that surround my house.  Here... check out this very bad pic of the sun going down last night.  You can tell how much haze is in the air.  Every year it get's hazy like this.  Usually it's wild fires... but I haven't really heard them talking about fires the last few days.  I'm going to have to take some allergy medicine. :(

My eyes are burning!  I'm not sure if its the air or if I just didn't get enough sleep.  I should have stayed in bed a little longer but I do love getting up early on Saturday :)  Why waste the best part of the day?

Ok... so the daily stats are 153.7 and glucose 98.  My glucose level is quite a bit different than yesterday.  Maybe eating so late had something to do with it.  Or maybe it was the pasta :)  although I really didn't have much.  I was stewing about what to do for dinner bout the time I got off work yesterday but nothing was coming to me so I decided to just bag it... and we took our little kayaks to Waits Lake instead.  That was fun.  By the time I got back I had it figured out.  I cooked chicken breasts marinated in soy sauce and peach marmalade and made a side of zucchini ribbons with fresh peas tossed with the chipotle pepper fettuccine  I brought home from Pike Place Market last month.  I stir fried the veg and made a sauce of the soy/marmalade marinade with a little peanut butter.  It had sort of a Thai taste.  It was quite good.  I also used jalapeño peppers from my garden.  Of course the zucchini and peas came from the garden.  And the Walla Walla onion too!  Love those onions.  I was so afraid I wouldn't have any.  I had to keep replanting them in the spring because the stupid chickens kept scratching them up.  They finally "took" though and now I am enjoying them.  Anyway... here are some of the ingredients for the dish...

and here is the real deal...


Only... I forgot to put the peanuts in for the pic but I remembered them during the eating.

I also want to show you the curry chicken salad I made for lunch.  That was killer!  That's the thing about those rotisere chickens you can but at the store for $5.99 each... I can get like three meals out of one plus home made chicken stock.  It's the best deal in town.  If you buy a couple of quarts of good quality chicken stock you've just about paid for the whole price of the chicken.  Anyway... I always eat the rotisere breasts and set aside the rest of the meat for something like chicken salad.  This time I went sort of Indian with it.  I use a combination of yogurt and light sour cream to make the basic dressing and added a little curry powder and about a half teaspoon or so of garam masala.  You know... it's that spice you bought for that Indian dish you saw on the food network and only used once... yeah... get it out.  It's awesome.  It's a blend of corriander, pepper cumin, cardamom and cinamon.  You don't need much but it adds that distinctly Indian flavor.  I also added pistacois and topped with grape tomatoes and red grape halves.  Oh so good... check it out...

How's that for in your face chicken salad :)  Well, I've taken up enough of your time and mine with my silly little post so... I'm going to go fill my coffee cup up and soak in the tub while I wait for the sprinkler on the garden to shut off so I can go in with a machete :)

Ciao!

1 comment:

  1. i love waking up early on weekends too!! it's def. the best part of the day =)

    ReplyDelete