Saturday, August 28, 2010

Home Again!

Well...magically upon waking up this morning my blood glucose read 93.  It must just like to be home :)  and the fatometer read 150.3.  I actually went on a big fat binge last night.  :(  I know! I'm just horrible.  A whole bag of popcorn, a few handfuls of cashews, a small bowl of peanuts in the shell, another small bowl of pistachios,   several pieces of sugar free chocolate... was that all?  Yep, I think that about covers it :)   Each snack in itself would have been ok but all of them?  Oh boy.  Well... that's how to NOT lose weight!  Really I'm surprised my glucose level wasn't higher.  I may see a rise and fall  over then next few datys.  I had phad thai and cashew chicken for lunch out with my friend Johnna yesterday before driving home which means noodles and rice.  Oh well!  I really enjoyed it and over all I've done really well and I think 150.3 is a new low.  By a couple of ounces anyway.  I was really hoping to have weighed in under 150 this morning but I know it will come soon.

I've already been out to the garden and seen that I need to pick and can more green beans.  There are onions that need to be picked.  A few more ripe tomatoes.  A ginormous spaghetti squash that is still somewhat white looking.  I don't even know what to think abouit that!  I picked cucumber and an acorn squash today.  I'm getting a little nervous.  The temp is getting pretty cold at night and my tomatoes are still mostly green.  Some are turning but not soon enough for me!  The big fat pumpkin is way bigger than last week.  I can't wait to see how big it gets!

One thing that I really miss about being home is the Friday Farmer's Market here in Chewelah.  I was unable to go yesterday since I was on the road.  I meant to write about the market last week but I was so busy  prepping my little garden for my absence that I missed it so I will write about it now.  Our farmer's market is just a small gathering of local farmers who bring their fabulous fresh produce and hand made crafts to sell.  It's located in Chewelah just off 395 in the parking lot of one of our local churches and situated along the creek.  It's a beautiful little setting.  I absolutely love going!  I always stop there before going on to our little Safeway store.  Why wouldn't I buy peaches from eastern WA instead of grapes from California?  Not that I don't enjoy my California produce.  I do... but if I can purchase food straight from our local farms how much healthier is that?  I want high quality food and also to support our local economy.  I really appreciate all the hard work that goes into raising premium produce without hormones and pesticides.  I'm thankful we have local farmers who still care enough to provide this service to our community.   I've gone off on a little tangent though.  :)  This time of year my garden produces a lot of what we eat but I always find something tasty to buy.  Last week Charlie and Betsy Kessler of Kessler's Pinetree Produce located in Valley, WA (just down the road from my home) were kind enough to let me take a couple of pictures of their market stall.  It's alway so pretty.  They have wonderful flowers and a great assortment of vegetables.  I love the wooden produce display baskets that their son makes.  Before my basil was ready to pick I alway's bought a little bunch from Betsy.  This year due to working really hard on keeping my glucose level down I did not plant potatoes.  I love them though and so just as a special treat I bought a small bag of beautiful little fingerling potatoes from the Kessler's.   Locally grown produce is so wonderful.  You know you are enjoying the very best of food that God's green earth has to offer.  If you happen to be in Chewelah on a Friday afternoon I invite you to come by and visit the Kessler's and the other awesome farmers and craftsmen.  If you can't come see us then please where ever you are... support your local farmers - and grow your own.  Your body will thank you for it :)  Here are  the pics... thanks Charlie and Betsy!  I love your market stall!

Well... as much fun as I've had amusing myself with my meanderings this morning it's not getting those beans picked so I better get my basket and my garden gloves and get out there!

Have a great weekend - Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment