Thursday, July 22, 2010

Avocados on the Grill? Yes yes yes!

I made this for dinner last night.  First of all, I have to give my friend Dee credit for this idea.  She made grilled avacados filled with pico de gallo and then topped with small cocktail shrimp and hot sauce.  It was grrrreat!  I went a different way a little bit based on what I had on hand.  I grilled the avocados but used grilled cod for the seafood.  To make the grilled avacodos stand up I just sliced a little piece off the round bottom and filled the well of the avocado with a salsa made of diced yellow zucchini, shallots, fresh tomato and roasted tomato salsa.  I then topped the stuffed avocados with strips of the grilled cod topped with lemon thyme and sage.  Yes... I grew the herbs myself.  :)  I'm proud of my little herb pots.  It's the first year I have grown such a variety.  Anyway... to go along with the avacado/cod dish I served the saffron cauliflower soup I made yesterday morning and topped it with a little parmesan cheese and crumbled bacon and chives.  It really was pretty tasty.  Dave wondered what fine thing he had done to deserve such a dinner.  Unfortunately I had to burst his bubble and tell him... nothing :)  But I will give him the opportunity to redeem himself...

So... thanks for the idea Dee.  Oh... you know the grill pan I bought at the market?  I HATE it!  It warped on the grill and I didn't get the color on the cod that I wanted.  Grrr!  I'd much rather use a good grill pan on the gas stove if I can't grill it on the grill with out it falling through.  I think I will try one of those grill baskets I keep seeing at Williams Sonoma.

So this morning the fatometer reads 143.8 and glucose 92.  I was really afraid it would be worse because the last two days about two o'clock in the afternoon I must have been sleep walking because I found myself both days with my hands in the trail mix up to my elbows with little bits of dried cranberries stuck to my face!  What is the deal?  :)  Just kidding about the sleep walking.  Not kidding unfortunately about the trail mix binge.  I'm going to have to make myself slow down, put a handful into a little pinch bowl and put the trail mix back in the pantry and go back upstairs to my desk where I belong and eat my little snack.

Oh wow!  Its not quite 6 AM yet.  I still have time to make a double omelette and share it with Dave before he leaves for work.  If I hurry.  He will like that.  He'll think I'm awesome - and he will be right :)

Ciao!

2 comments:

  1. Kathy, I used my new grill pan on the weber and it worked fantastic for asparagus and zucchini! Bring it with you when you come over and we should return it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What temp did you have the grill? I had mine up quite high and like I said... it warped. Maybe I shouldn't have had it so high... I wanted grill marks though and even with the high heat did not get any :( I'm almost afraid to bring it back. You should see it... very black and abused looking. Imagine that! Me ruining a piece of cookware :)

    ReplyDelete