Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Countdown to the Visit with the Doc

I have an apt. for new blood work on Aug 3rd.  I guess that means I really should not have dessert any more.  :) Well... it was a special occasion!  For Dave's birthday dinner I made meatloaf... not a thrilling masterpiece but it is one of his favorites - and we have already eaten most of poor little T-Bones baby steaks so I have to think up lots of ground beef recipes.  Along with the meatloaf I grilled some red cabbage and sugar peas with goat cheese and pine nuts in my new grill pan.  I am finally getting the hang of it a little more.  It would help if my grill wasn't so LAME!  Along with the grilled garden veg I made a caprese salad.  So lots and lots of fresh veggies.  And for dessert :)  I got some tasty apricots at the farmers market last Friday and stashed them in the fridge so I pulled them out and halved and pitted them.  I soaked them in Cointreau (an orange liqueur) and then sprinkled cinnamon sugar on them and grilled them on a cast iron grill pan until they were soft and caramelized on the top.  I served them over French vanilla ice cream and drizzled them with just a touch more Cointreau and huckleberry honey and sprinkled macadamia nuts on top.  That is most likely why my blood sugar was 115 this morning and why I have gained weight rather than lost weight lately.  I made almost the same dessert over the weekend with peaches and no Cointreau.  I have to say I like the peaches better but still it was very good and Dave liked it.  Anyway.... no more splurges before the doc.  This shouldn't affect the outcome too much though since it is the cumulative effect that matters - not the occasional splurge.  Over all I have been a very good girl.  I'm looking forward to finding out the results as compared with the last blood work which was - not good :)

Dave's big present was a gi-normous painting he bought while he was in Florida.  See... he just can't be trusted to go anywhere without me!  :)  It is pretty - and he has been determined to fill up the huge empty spaces on the walls (cathedral ceilings) since he built the house.  I think the only reason it works is because it's balanced out by the floor to ceiling stone fireplace facing and the wood stair case.  It will look even better when my friend and neighbor Donna completes his next present that he won't find out about because he never reads my blog.  :)  I want her to paint our home.  Her paintings are beautiful!  He would absolutely treasure it since he loves it here so much.  And so will I.  So... anytime Donna is ready - but no pressure... :)  she can add to my art gallery on the ceiling.  Here is the painting before he hung it.  It is propped up in front of the double doors so you can see just how big it is... :)  am I right?  Gi-normous???



Well... gotta go water some plants... ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment