Thursday, July 8, 2010

Inspriation!

Ugh!  I'm not inspired about my numbers this morning though!  Guess!  Yep... 157.4 and glucose 110.  Yikes!  Hmm... could it have possibly been the PINT of Ben and Jerry's Pistachio ice cream I devoured on the couch before bed???  Ya think???  I'm so stupid, I'm so stupid!  I hate myself!  Ok... now that that's out of the way... now I can move on to the inspiration part...

Yesterday I was chatting with my cousin Beth on Face Book about Bing cherries and how we were both introduced to them by my mother.  There is a very funny story from when we were kids that went something like this... or maybe it wasn't like this at all but it's what I remember.  I went camping with my mom and brothers and Aunt Joyce and her kids.  This was a great treat.  I don't think I had been camping since I was really small.  Aunt Joyce also loves Bing cherries.  She was probably the one who introduced them to my mother and maybe even on this trip.  She brought a whole bunch with her.  I think we were all allowed a portion and then..well my mom apparently couldn't stop thinking about them and got up in the middle of the night and ate I believe the rest of them.  Perhaps she left one or two in the bag.  She went back to sleep very satisfied and felt that she would never be found out - I believe she was going to blame it on a bear.  Unfortunately one's sins have a way of being shouted from the rooftop - or in her case I guess tooted from the rooftop would be more accurate.  Anyway... as I was laughing to myself about that happy memory (seems that all my favorite memories are somehow related to food) I realized that it was lunch time.  I wandered down to the kitchen without a plan.  I only knew that it needed to be something light and cool as I am stuck on the same pound and it is hot outside.  I decided a salad was in order but what kind?  In the garden yesterday morning I noticed a respectable amount of baby spinach so I went out to pick it.  I still had a couple of beautiful small cucumbers from the farmers market last week.  And the cherries that I had hidden in the corner of the crisper!  Hidden from Dave so he would not repeat the sins of my mother and eat too many at once.  Well, after I brought out the cherries it all fell into place.  I chopped the spinach, cukes, a small tomato, some fresh mozzarella, a few basil leaves and pitted just five Bing cherries and quartered them.  I scattered them over the top of the salad and for a grand finishing touch sprinkled some chopped pistachios on the very top and then drizzled with balsamic/pomegranate dressing.  It was just right!  The cherries were sweet and tart and I could taste a little in every bite.  I think I'll call it Beth's Bing Salad since she inspired me with the bings.  I took a pic of it but that came out really bad and I didn't realize it until after I had eaten the salad so I had to make it again for dinner.  The salad in the pic below is a double portion.  Actually there was enough for three people.  Dave loved it!  Of course the bing cherries made it!  Thanks Cuz!  May be you could try it sometime before you eat up all your cherries.  :)  Here it is:

Here's the "FatSecret" Version that I submitted.  Sorry... some of the measurements are strange.  They make you list them that way based on serving size.  Here's an example from the recipe.  For the pomegranate juice they say a serving is an 8 oz bottle so I figured I needed about half an ounce so I put .16 of a "serving".  Lame!  What I really meant is about 1 1/2 teaspoon.  Anyway...Have a great day everyone!

Ciao!


Recipe is awaiting approval.
Servings:
1
Prep Time:
10 mins
Meal Types:
Appetizers
Side Dishes
Salads and Salad Dressings
Lunch
Rating:

not yet rated.
fatsecret members overall average rating

Bing Caprese

This salad featuring fresh bing cherries began as a basic tomato, basil, mozzarella salad and then took a left turn :) It's delicious and refreshing, perfect for a hot sunny day lunch.

Ingredients

Directions

  1. In a salad bowl layer the spinach, cucumber, halved cherry tomatoes and torn mozzarella cheese.
  2. Remove the pits from the cherries and quarter them. Chop 1/4 cup Salt and Pepper or other shelled pistachio nuts.
  3. Gently toss the salad ingredients and add the cherries and pistachios to the top.
  4. For the dressing, in a small shaker or cruet add 1 T each balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. Add 1 teaspoon pomegranate juice. Add just a dash of salt and pepper. Shake well and dress salad. Enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment