Monday, July 19, 2010

Vegetable Lasagna

Those two words always remind me of the episode of Seinfeld where Elaine was flying next to a man she kept referring to (right in front of him) as Vegetable Lasagna.  And at Valley Supply back in the day Jim used to call Brian Vegetable Lasagna which was then shortened to Veg.  Both memories always make me smile.  Vegetable Lasagna as a food never made me smile until yesterday.  My weekend guests were headed to Silverwood for the day and so I thought I would make something for dinner that they could eat whenever they got back and I decided on lasagna.  I already had all the stuff and since I did not accompany them I had time to put it together.  I always make my own sauce which really is the time consuming part.  I love lasagna!  But... you know... pasta!  So I decided to do regular lasagna for them and also a smaller pan of fake out lasagna for Dave and me.  I am so lucky that Dave will eat anything :)  You never know how these experiments will work out!  I whipped out the mandolin (food slicer not musical instrument) and sliced up some zucchini lengthwise and quickly cooked them in a grill pan then used them instead of lasagna noodles to layer in with the usual ingredients.  The grill pan may not have been necessary but I though it would enhance the flavor and who can resist grill marks?  I also added layers of fresh spinach from the garden.  On the top layer I did chop up and sprinkle one lasagna noodle just so there would be a hint of noodle.  One noodle for the whole darn pan is pretty good though :)  Dave and I were both very pleasantly surprised at how good it was and that the one little chopped up noodle was enough!  Dave announced that I could always make it like that.  My Aunty M gave me a recipe for lasagna where you use cabbage rather than noodles.  I haven't tried it yet.  I bet that's good too.  I hope so!  I have about six great big red cabbages growing out in the garden and about 10 zucchini plants.  Seriously!  What was I thinking?  It's just Dave and me now.  Two plants would have been enough :)  I don't have a clue what I'm going to do with all that cabbage!  If anyone has good cabbage recipes please send them to me.

I almost forgot to report:  154.0 and glucose 93.  Progress!  Oh, yesterday I noticed that I now actually have shoulders rather than hams :)  Gotta love that!  Almost makes me want to Zumba!  But... I still have a house full of sleeping people who would be scarred for life if they woke up and found me Zumbaing :)

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment