Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Early Bird Gets the Bacon

Last thing I did last night was clean and cut up two small heads of cauliflower that got a little out of control in the garden.  And a wagon load (that's a slight exaggeration- but not by much) of broccoli.  The first thing I thought about this morning was that darn cauliflower.  Hmm what to do with it?  I decided since it was not the prettiest stuff in the world - it did not conform to the standard nice round heads - it was all leggy and  funky :)  that it should become soup.  Also, I needed to stir fry some veg for my little morning one egg omelettes so by 6:15 my stove was going.  I fried up a pound of bacon and chopped up some veggies.  Stir fried the multi-purpose veggies (for the omelettes and other things) and filled a big pot with the cauliflower and onion, spices, home made chicken stock and let er rip.  I decided to add saffron to the soup veg.  Yum.  Here it is in its whole veg form and after pureeing with the submersible blender:
I'll finish it off with a little yogurt mixed with just a touch of cream to make it smooth and creamy and then sprinkle some of that crunched up bacon on the top.

I love to make a bunch of stir fired veg and have them ready in the fridge.  It makes my morning omelettes really fast.  I usually use just what ever veg I have in the fridge - and right now that's broccoli.  I also added onion and orange bell pepper and of course garlic and then after turning the heat off wilt in the spinach which continues to grow nicely in the garden.  Another thing the pre made veggies are good for is making a quick rice side dish.  Just make a nice rice blend.  I like to use one with wild rice and the last few minutes of the cooking time toss in some of the veggies and at the very end top with slivered almonds.  Here's the veg mixture, the omelette cooking and the finished product:
I just pour the egg in a heated small pan, let it sit for just a minute and then top with the veggies, in this case crunched up bacon and some Gruyère cheese. 





Then fold and top with plain yogurt and salsa.
Ta Da!  Hard to believe it's just one egg huh?






Oh... almost forgot.... 153.7 and glucose 90 :)  AND yesterday I measured my still too fat waistline and had lost about two inches from the last measuring.  That was encouraging!

Ok... really gotta get to work :)  Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment