Monday, July 26, 2010

Dave's Birthday Weekend

Happy Birthday Dave!  Today is his birthday but his kids, Adam and Amberlyn drove over Saturday morning to spend the weekend with him.  They met us in Spokane.  We brought our new kayaks and the canoe and floated down the Little Spokane river.  The water was slow and peaceful.  It was very relaxing and very hysterical when suddenly Adam and Amberlyn both leaned at the same time and rolled the canoe.  There was no screaming or excitement... just a slow here we go sploosh.  :)  Dave had to catch Adams sandal but otherwise they just fished the coolers and out of the river and emptied the canoe and on we went.  Nice job kids!

And here's Dave kicked back in one of our new little kayaks...


That was so much fun!  I can't wait to take them out to the lake.  I think we are going over to our property on the Pend Oreille river soon and will take them there.  That will be awesome!  After the float we decided to stop in Deer Park for some pizza.  There's a little pizza joint called The Pizza Factory that makes a great pizza.  Unfortunately I had 4 slices.  My blood sugar on Sunday morning was 113 and I weighed a whopping 155.  Arrrgghhhhh!  Since it was officially Dave's birthday weekend I made crepes  and used the last of the blueberries I purchased to make a tasty blueberry syrup.  I could not resist and had one crepe.  Amber had 7 :)  Adam had more than anybody could possibly count.

Since it was the perfect weather for grilling I decided to pull out the avacados again and this time I grilled them and topped them with pico de gallo and grilled prawns topped with a little roasted tomato salsa and bacon crumbles.  Quite tasty.  I served them with blue tortilla chips.  I made a whole acacado for everyone else and just a half for me since each avacado packs a whopping 340 or so calories.   Hmm... too bad you can't see the avacados under all that shrimp :)



The kids went home and we lounged around on the porch reading and watching the corn grow.  I found myself getting hungry so I decided to make some broccoli.  I figured I could eat a lot of that with no harm done.  I dressed it up with a little goat cheese and pine nuts - and just a few bacon crumbles :)  

                                 

For dinner I grilled some tasty burgers.  I was going to make dessert but we were too full so I just saved it for today.  Poor Dave had to work today and it's supposed to be 98 degrees.  Yowza!  I would just take him out to dinner for his birthday but there is so much food in the garden right now that I hate for it to go to waste.  I think I'll make a meatloaf for dinner.  He loves meatloaf and the ground beef is thawed out already.

The big news on the farm today is that there are five tiny chicks.  Three hatched on Saturday and then Sunday morning Dave couldn't wait any longer to see that was up with the other three eggs so he went out to the hen house and found that one more had hatched during the night.  In the 5th egg was one more tiny chick and Dave decided it was time for it to come out so he "helped" it.  It is now fluffy and doing fine and the sixth egg was not fertilized.  I can't wait until Mama Hen brings them out.  We should have better luck this time now that we the chicken yard is fully enclosed.  Unless of course the chicks squeeze through the holes and Mama can't get out to take care of them :(   Dave went out to check on them last night and said it was so funny - her large chick  that hatched in April that is now almost as big as she is is still trying to snuggle up to her at night to sleep.  Hope she doesn't push the new babies off... or maybe she will just sit on them and keep them warm :)

Oh yeah... today 154.6 and glucose 105.  So coming down from the weekend binge!

Have a great Monday everyone!  Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment