Monday, June 7, 2010

Cauliflower Again?!?

Tomorrow I'm going west again so no time to blog.  Thought I'd tell you about the side dish I made for dinner tonight.  Dave had to work late so it was dinner for one.  I grilled a small rib steak so I thought I better make something very veggie.  :)  I decided on cauliflower.  I love cauliflower but how many times can you have steamed cauliflower?  After a while it does get kind of... boring!  So I chopped up a little garlic, shallots and yellow bell pepper and a few sun dried tomatoes (they really add a nice touch... very tangy/sweet) and stir fried them with salt and pepper until they were sort of caramelized.  The yellow pepper cooks more quickly and has a lot of sugar so it browns nicely and adds great color to the cauliflower.  Then I added just a little balsamic vinegar and melted some grated Gruyère cheese on top.  Not much... I use my small micro planer which shaves a very fine layer.  Since everything turns sort of a golden color I thought it would be nice to add  just a bit of fresh green so I went out and snipped some chives and raided the new baby spinach in my garden.  I rolled up the spinach with the chives and just snipped it up into ribbons after taking the cauliflower off the heat so it would retain the bright green flavor.
Wait!  Do I have utensils backwards?  :)  Too funny.  I am sort of... process challenged :)  You ought to watch me make a sandwich.  Takes about 5 trips to the fridge because I just can not remember everything.  And every night when I set the table I forget the serving utensils.  Every night!  

So what's healthy about rib steak?  Well :) It is home grown very healthy beef.  Make no mistake though... moderation is the name of the game.  I am always satisfied with just a small amount.  This was a small steak and I put at least half of it away.  Dave would wolf down the entire steak easily but I'm good with just a few ounces.  I was a good girl and ate all of my cauliflower.  Since I can have as much as I want to that I chowed down!  It was quite tasty.  You have to like cauliflower though.  My friend Brenda (bff) hates vegetables.  But she's a great mom and knew it would be best for her children to learn to like them so she just... lied :)  and told them that she was allergic to vegetables.  Still makes me laugh.  All five of her girls love veggies so I guess it worked out.

This trip will be very quick.  Not enough time to get into too much dietary trouble.  This weekend when I get home we will have our daughter Amberlyn and Maggie, Brenda's daughter (but I claim her too) visiting.   I don't have to worry about cooking differently for them.  They like veggies :)  I think I will be able to keep the momentum going this week.  We shall see!

Well... better get to bed.  I have to get up super early for the trip.

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment