Friday, June 4, 2010

Tiny Miracles

It's raining again.  I'm not too sad about that today.  I planted several rows and hills in my garden yesterday. Blue Lake bush beans, yellow and green zucchini & English cucumbers.  I also planted the butterfly garden strips Dave brought home for me.  I don't know how they will do... I haven't used them before but they could be really pretty.  I thought it was so nice that he would think of bringing them to me!  Until he said it was a down payment for me getting the surveillance system from hell set up so that we can view it from our stupid phones.  We need to be able to see if anyone comes up here to rustle our cows or pet our dogs right?  I reminded him that it was a very tiny down payment since if I was able to stumble on the correct settings that he promised to build me a GREEN HOUSE!  :)  Still... I bet they will be pretty.  Anyway... I'm counting on the rain to moisten all those little seeds.  Now for the miracle part... thought I'd never get there huh?  :)  I'm always thrilled to find stuff I didn't plan this year in my garden.  It's amazing to me that I can till the ground over and over again and when things start growing I find little plants that have come back from last year.  I have two varieties of lettuce, lots of dill and even one tiny cilantro plant.  I was so excited about the dill that I took a picture of the little frond... and then while weeding  a rocky border surrounding the well found tons of dill plants.  Possibly more that I can use.  I may have to dry some.  Here are a few of pics of those tiny miracles...


So cute!

Dave roto-tilled his large garden area where he will plant corn and sunflowers... and this year I bought some of those gianormous pumpkin seeds, then ran out of space in my garden so they will go on the border of his.  If we ever get any heat they will do well!  If!

Well here are the stats... 163.3 EOC :) (every ounce counts)  and glucose 105.  I wondered if it would be a little higher actually.  I ate about 3/4 of a cup of multi grain spaghetti with some left over sauce.  I'm a pasta freak!  I would normally eat a huge plate full with sauce and then go back for a smaller plate of just pasta topped with butter and Parmesan cheese.  So 3/4 of a cup for me is like almost not eating it.  One conscious positive choice at a time I think will make the difference over the long haul.  I've switched to brown rice and multi grain or whole wheat pastas and I've almost got my family to quit fussing about it when they come to visit.  But hey - I'm the cook.  :)    Even those more healthy products have to be eaten in small amounts though if I want to loose weight and control my blood sugar levels.  

Yesterday for lunch I made a nice little tuna salad.  I added sun dried tomatoes to the mix and topped with pistachios.  It ended up being too much for just one salad so I put half of it away and then almost felt guilty when I rescued it from Dave.  He was about to inhale it as a before dinner snack.  Bad Dave!  :)  It was very tasty though.
                                         

Time to go to work.  It's Friday!  Even the rain can't make me sad on Friday.  Especially when the weather man predicts sunshine tomorrow.  He better not be lying!  Here's to a great weekend!

Ciao!

2 comments:

  1. Kathy, you are doing a grat job. I really enjoy reading this.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks O'Mally :) It actually really helps to know there are two people out there reading this. It's encouraging and makes me want to stick with it.

    ReplyDelete