Friday, June 25, 2010

Florida Friday...

But not for me... boo hoo!  Dave is off to Florida with Amberlyn for a little daddy/daughter time.  It was so kind of her to uninvite her fiancé just so she could spend some quality time with her good ole dad.  :)  Poor Dave is crushed though.  He really loves Wes and would have loved to have him come along.  :)  I'm sure they will have fun.  I will stay home and shoo the calf back under the fence whenever she gets out... and hope there is no serious cow emergency while he is gone.  It's nice to know if there is that Carol is just down the road.  Like how I sign you up without even asking Carol?  :)  This weekend instead of accomplishing anything at all I will have my beautiful little granddaughter Aubrey.  :)  I didn't want to do anything anyway!  I can't wait.  I'm sure she will want to feed the "chicks" and step on some veggies in the garden.  She will throw the stick for Lucy and yell at Tank for licking her face.  She will chase the "meow" around the house and want to go outside lots.  I'll burn off calories just watching her... not to mention following around after her to make sure she has not gone down to the creek for a swim.  It will be a fabulous girls weekend :)  We might go to the farmers market and maybe if I'm brave even Walmart!  We will under no circumstances get one of those carts with the little play cars attached!  Whoever dreamed that up needs to have a lobotomy.  I did that once at Safeway.  We got through two isles and then she escaped and slipped getting out then would not get back in and I was stuck driving a bus that was a big pain to maneuver around the store :(  Oh well... live and learn.

This morning the fatometer registered 157.6 and glucose of 80.  It's gratifying to see that I am making progress.  I'm actually looking forward to my next visit to Dr. Z to check my new blood work.  She will be amazed and pat me on the head and say, "Good Job!  Hope you can keep it up... this time."  :)  And that will indeed be the trick.  This time I will know exactly how quickly the weight and elevated glucose levels will come back.  Sure doesn't take long.  Good thing I like veggies!  

Speaking of veggies... I made some asparagus soup yesterday.  I didn't even know I liked it until my Aunt Netta made it for me when we visited in her in Germany in early May.  It was yummy.  I like the thought of getting the most out of food by using those tougher end pieces.  I went a slightly different direction with it though.  I caramelized a large sweet onion and added a little cumin to the pot along with the asparagus and chicken stock and then pureed it then added some diced Canadian bacon and about a cup of the left over wild rice in the fridge.  A little red pepper flakes added just a kick to it.  It was good... but you do have to like asparagus.  If you don't just keep moving :)  To go with it I grilled some prawns marinated in black bean garlic sauce.  Yum!  That was very simple.  I enjoy having different bottles of the prepared Asian sauces in the fridge.  Sometimes they do have quite a bit of sugar or maybe even MSG in them... I really didn't investigate too closely I just dumped it on.  Since my glucose level was only 80 this morning I guess it was not too terribly harmful.

Well... I can see Dave through the window out visiting the cows and telling them goodbye and to not be too much trouble for me.  He is also checking the bird netting to make sure no magpies get into the chicken coup and break the eggs.  He's doing a last minute check on the electric fence and running the weed wacker.  I'm sure he will relax when he gets in the car to go to the airport.  I was a brat this morning and told him that next time I go to Seattle (without him) that I was going to go visit Pike Place Market and have seafood dinner on the pier without oil all over it!  That was very mean.  I don't think they will run into oil where they are going.  I am so sickened by the oil spill in the gulf that I almost can't watch it on the news anymore.  One more reason I love driving past the big wind turbans along I-90 in Ellensburg.  Dave thinks they are ugly and detract from the beauty of the hills.  I think they are sort of majestic and fascinating and way prettier than dead oil soaked birds.

Have a great weekend everyone... ciao!

2 comments:

  1. Oh and CONGRATS on the new stats!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the wind turbines are awesome!!! And when the sun is setting they remind me flowers the way they face the sun :) Adam and I were completely fascinated by them on our trip over last weekend! We loved them!

    ReplyDelete